Importance of closure in the two sales schools
When we study the importance of closure in the two schools (0) we soon realize that they are opposite. And, in some important, contradictory aspects.
The importance of closure in classical orientation
In classical school the importance of Closure Techniques is maximum. Starting from one obvious thing: without closing there is no sale and without sale there is no income, the fundamental importance of this fact - the closed sale - makes equal importance extend to the process of obtaining it: the closing procedure. That is why the abundant, first-time and constant use of Closing Techniques is very common; It is very widespread. In fact many classical authors do not even differentiate Closure and Closing Techniques, being for them, practically synonymous terms.
Let's see some opinions about the importance of closure in classical orientation
- « The basic motto in sales is: If you can not close, you can not sell.» (1)
- « Closing is the beginning and end of the sale .» (2)
- « Remember, if it does not close, is working for the competition. » (3)
- « Sellers, for reasons of very diverse nature, often fear the moment to suggest that the customer places an order; however they will not be sellers for a long time if they do not overcome this small obstacle. »(4)
- « Success in the sale is measured proportionally to the ability of the seller to master a situation of auction . »(5)
- « Everything you do in your sales program ti aim to reach those brief and precious moments in which you are facing the potential buyer with the open order book. The skill with which you handle those moments, the ability you have to close sales, dictate not only your success as sellers but at the same time the standard of living that your family can enjoy. Because in sales, only those that come to be auctioned count! "(6)
- «. .. With practice, you can learn to influence people so that they think and feel as you do. However, until your signatures appear on the order forms or your checks enter the current account, potential customers will not have acted in the way you want them to act. This final phase of the sale is the ultimate goal of any interview, the step that leads to the order. This phase is called closing. » (7)
The importance of closing at the current school
At the school of Rackham (8) is carefully distinguished one thing from the other and it is suggested that, while the Closing of Sale is equally basic, the classical closing procedure is not so basic. In fact, he says that it is contradictory with high success rates. And instead proposes another procedure to obtain the closure -the commitment of the client accepting the purchase that we offer-, more effective.
But the substance of the contribution of Rackham , it is not the proposal of another more efficient closing procedure, but the linking of the closing of the operation, within a sale process, in which other parts of it are better correlated with success. It is not that Rackham is the "killer" of the closing (9) but that it is the "midwife" of the idea that success is in the development of an excellent process and not in the effectiveness and efficiency in the realization of only one of its parts.
In the following table we see, among other things, the very different importance that the two schools attribute to both the Closure and the phase of Research . Notice the almost total rollover between them.I have evidence that with them are more lost businesses that are earned ... traditional closing techniques have no place in large sales. » (10)
-« Is a closing technique absolutely necessary? Today we dream (more than with a theory of magic closure) with a sales dialogue perfectly carried in all its phases. In a similar dialogue, the seller does not need any closing technique, the same client takes out the pen at twenty minutes and signs the order convinced. » (11)
Miguel Villarroya Martín, September 7, 2016/Madrid. Spain/Vpi.023/ventasgrandes.net
(0) See our previous ones:
- Situation of the Closing in the Method of Real Estate Sales
- The two tracks at the closing of the Sale Real Estate Staff
(1) Russell and others. Page 336 of your "Sales. Practical Manual ". McGraw-Hill editorial.
(2) D. Forbes Law . P. 141 of his "The secrets of success in the sale". Editorial Deusto.
(3) John Fenton . P. 165 of his "The closing of sales". Selector.
(4) Stan Kossen . P. 348 of his "Creative sale". Diaz de Santos editor.
(5) John A. MacDonald . Pág. 9 of his "Strategies that make sell". Hispano Europea Editorial
(6) John A. MacDonald . Pág.1 of his "Strategies that make sell". Hispano Europea Editorial
(7) L. Adés. Pág. 249 of its "Manual of the professional seller". Editorial Deusto.
(8) The new tradition of complex sales is not only represented by this author, Neil Rackham. Many others integrate it and have contributed to its renewal. But among all the new sources of knowledge in sales, the contribution of Rackham, is for us, especially brilliant.
(9) There is a reference in his text: on his role of killer of the closing very revealing. And that makes reference to the first critics received on his system.
(10) Neil Rackham, in "How to sell high investment goods". P. 176. Editorial Norma.
(11) Jan L. Wage , in "Psychology and sales conversation technique". Pág. 249 Deusto.
(12) This text is a partial excerpt of the contents of my book: The Closing of the Real Estate Sale. Editorial Finis Terrae. Galicia 2016. Book in print process. The image used in this postcard is one of your images.
Font of the cover image.